ESCAPE AND EXPLORE

Discover your world

Future City Weekend, 20-22

Next weekend is the preliminary and regional weekend for the national Future City Engineering competition. Back when I was in middle school, my team made the national finals in Washington D.C. and placed second, winning over $7,500 for the school and us to spend. This year, Dillon Samra (who was on the original team), and I have helped mentor our siblings and their friends in hope that they win the Dallas north Texas regional. We aren’t sure what to expect, because our regional coordinator for the Central Texas region quit, leaving us with North Texas competition. The best team from North Texas made national finals last year, also placing second, and made nationals the last year I participated. They will likely be our biggest competition. Our team is well prepared and coached to answer even the most difficult questions the judges could potentially ask, as well as how to bring up their strong-points in every answer. I believe the team is capable of making finals, but it will be very difficult to beat this team, having made it twice in a row. Stay tuned for a post next week, explaining more about future city and how we resulted against the massive 65 teams signed up for the North Texas regional.

If the team makes the finals, then their next presentation will be the national preliminaries on February 18th, in Washington D.C.

**Update 1/29.2017** The team I was mentoring made it to finals and won first, advancing to Nationals in the 18th.

Stay tuned for posts coming from Washington D.C., as I update my blog with results and other media from the event.

Next Post

Previous Post